What’s a microbiome and where is mine?

You’re not yourself. No, really.

Far from being 100% human, all of us are in fact, only about 10% concentrate. Why? The remaining 90% of you is made up of trillions of microscopic bacteria - they outnumber your human cells 10 to 1. There’s good ones, which work in harmony with your body, and, well, not so good ones. They’re not just in your gut, either. They’re all over your skin, up your nose...really, you’re just a big walking cruise ship holiday for a whole host of bacteria.

We’ve all been washing our hands a lot more recently and of course, keeping things clean is always a good way to go, but for our guts, bacteria and microbes are the vital maintenance team for our health and wellbeing.

Me? Covered in bugs?! OK, by this point, you may feel a bit like your skin is crawling, but there’s no need to dash into a boiling hot shower. When your bacteria is out of balance (and we’ll keep it as simple as ‘good’ and ‘bad’ here) you’ll know about it. You might feel gassy, bloated, lethargic, and long term, has even been linked to illness, weight gain and poor mood. A bad diet, antibiotics or stress can kill off your good bacteria and let the bad guys flourish. In turn, this can make you crave everything bad for you, as bacteria like candida crave sugar, which is what has you clawing at the treat drawer.

On the other hand, the good bacteria keep things going as they should. They can even help you stave off illnesses, make sure you’re getting the best of the nutrients from your food, and fight off the bad bacteria that make you feel all the icky things we just mentioned.


How do I top up on good bacteria?

‘Probiotic’ is the key word here, and it’s what our kombuchas are packed with (we’ve even measured it). They’re full of life (pro meaning for, and biotic meaning life) and are like superheroes coming in to save the day in your gut. There are many ways you can be more pro-probiotic, from tablets to supermarket ‘digestive aids’ but the best way to populate your gut is through your diet. It’s tastier too - after all, who wants to eat half a pharmacy every morning? Live, fermented foods, like KTea kombucha also have a
significantly higher population and variety of different types (or strains) of bacteria, meaning each sip invites in a crowd of friendly do-gooders.

The good news is, our kombucha comes in a variety of tasty flavours, so it’s easy to top up on your probiotics without having to pinch your nose. Not sure which one’s for you? Take a look at our flavour profiles to find out more.

Older Post Newer Post